Re: Checksum errors in pg_stat_database - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Robert Haas
Subject Re: Checksum errors in pg_stat_database
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Fri, Jan 11, 2019 at 5:21 AM Magnus Hagander <magnus@hagander.net> wrote:
> Would it make sense to add a column to pg_stat_database showing the total number of checksum errors that have
occurredin a database?

> It's really a ">1 means it's bad", but it's a lot easier to monitor that in the statistics views, and given how much
alot of people set their systems out to log, it's far too easy to miss individual checksum matches in the logs.

> If we track it at the database level, I don't think the overhead of adding one more counter would be very high
either.

It's probably not the idea way to track it.  If you have a terabyte or
fifty of data, and you see that you have some checksum failures, good
luck finding the offending blocks.

But I'm tentatively in favor of your proposal anyway, because it's
pretty simple and cheap and might help people, and doing something
noticeably better is probably annoyingly complicated.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company