Re: The purpose of the core team - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Robert Haas
Subject Re: The purpose of the core team
Date
Re: The purpose of the core team  ("Joshua D. Drake" <jd@commandprompt.com>)
List pgsql-hackers
On Thu, Jun 11, 2015 at 11:13 AM, Dave Page <dpage@pgadmin.org> wrote:
> Yes, and we have recently been discussing how best to solicit those
> opinions this year.

Great!

>> As a non-core team member, I find it quite frustrating that getting a
>> release triggered requires emailing a closed mailing list.
>
> It does not, unless you're talking about a security release. You might
> have to prod people if they overlook an email on -hackers, but you can
> certainly suggest releasing updates there.

I certainly can suggest it in a variety of ways on a variety of
mailing lists.  Getting it to happen is a different thing.

> Timing *decisions* are not made by -core, as I've told you in the
> past. They are made by the packagers who do the actual work, based on
> suggestions from -core.

You have told me that in the past, and I do not accept that it is true.

The suggestions from -core are always accepted, or as near as makes no
difference.  So in effect, -core decides.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company