Re: replicating DROP commands across servers - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Robert Haas
Subject Re: replicating DROP commands across servers
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Mon, Oct 6, 2014 at 7:03 PM, Jim Nasby <Jim.Nasby@bluetreble.com> wrote:

>> But this is a pretty ridiculous argument.  We have an existing parser
>> that does it just fine, and a special-purpose parser that does just
>> that (and not all of the other stuff that the main parser does) would
>> be a great deal simpler.  Maybe there are examples other than the ones
>> you listed here that demonstrate that this is actually a hard problem,
>> but the fact that you might need to undo quote_literal() or search for
>> and split on fixed strings does not.
>

> FWIW, I've run into situations more than once in userspace where I need a
> way to properly separate schema and object name. Generally I can make do
> using reg* casts and then hitting catalog tables, but it'd be nice if there
> was an easier way.

Sure, although I think that's a bit of a separate problem.  It's hard
to iterate through a string a character at a time from the SQL level
so that you can handle stuff like the quote_literal() rules.  If we
want people to be able to do that easily we need to provide tools to
handle it.  But C is actually quite well-suited to such tasks.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company