Re: comparison between 2 execution plans - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Neto pr
Subject Re: comparison between 2 execution plans
Date
List pgsql-general
Dear,

On 05/05/2018 06:26 AM, Neto pr wrote:
Dear all

Could you help me understand these two execution plans for the same query (query 3 benchmark TPCH www.tpc.org/tpch <http://www.tpc.org/tpch>), executed in two different environments of Postgresql, as described below:
Execution Plan 1:
- https://explain.depesz.com/s/Ughh
- Postgresql version 10.1 (default) with index on l_shipdate (table lineitem)

Execution Plan 2:
- https://explain.depesz.com/s/7Zb7
- Postgresql version 9.5 (version with source code changed by me) with

It might help if you explained what 'version with source code changed by me' means?

Postgresql with modified source code, is that I modified some internal functions of cost (source code) and parameters in Postgresql.conf so that it is possible for the DBMS to differentiate cost of read (random and sequence) and write (random and sequence), this is because reading in SSDs' and more than 400 times faster than HDD. This is due to academic research that I am doing.

Also the schema for the table lineitem from both instances might help shed light.

I am using 40g scale, in this way the lineitem table has (40 * 6 million) 240 million of the rows.

Any reason why the index changed between instances?

index on l_orderkey (table lineitem).

Some doubts
- Difference between GroupAggregate and Finalize GroupAggregate
- because some algorithms show measurements on "Disk" and others on "Memory" example:
      - External sort Disk: 52784kB
      - quicksort Memory: 47770kB

Because one execution plan was much smaller than the other, considering that the query is the same and the data are the same.
select
     l_orderkey,
     sum(l_extendedprice * (1 - l_discount)) as revenue,
     o_orderdate,
     o_shippriority
from
     customer,