Re: GSOC 2018 ideas - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Charles Cui
Subject Re: GSOC 2018 ideas
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Hi Aleksander,

   Went through the documents listed by you, and they are helpful!
It seems the main purpose of extension pg_protobuf is to parse
a protobuf struct and return the decoded field. May I ask how these kinds
of extensions are used in postgreSQL (or in other words, the scenarios to
use these plugins)?

Thanks Charles!

Got it, Aleksander! Will study these documents carefully!

Hello Charles,

> I saw PostgreSQL is selected in GSOC 2018 and pretty interested in the
> ideas of thrift data types support that proposed by you. So, I want to
> prepare for a proposal based on this idea.

Glad you are interested in this project!

> Can I have more detailed information of what documents or code that I
> need to understand?

I would recommend the following documents and code:

* Source code of pg_protobuf
  https://github.com/afiskon/pg_protobuf
* "Writing Postgres Extensions" tutorial series by Manuel Kniep
  http://big-elephants.com/2015-10/writing-postgres-extensions-part-i/
* "So you want to make an extension?" talk by Keith Fiske
  http://slides.keithf4.com/extension_dev/#/
* Apache Thrift official website
  https://thrift.apache.org/
* Also a great explanation of the Thrift format can be found in the
  book "Designing Data-Intensive Applications" by Martin Kleppmann
  http://dataintensive.net/

> Also, if this idea is allocated to other student (or in other worlds,
> you prefer some student to work on it), do let me know, so that I can
> pick some other project in PostgreSQL. Any comments or suggestions are
> welcomed!

To my best knowledge currently there are no other students interested in
this particular work.

--
Best regards,
Aleksander Alekseev