Re: recommended schema diff tools? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Damian Carey
Subject Re: recommended schema diff tools?
Date
List pgsql-general

On Fri, Apr 13, 2012 at 12:57 AM, Welty, Richard <rwelty@ltionline.com> wrote:

can anyone recommend an open source tool for diffing schemas?

(it should go without saying that i'm looking for ddl to update production and QA DBs from development DBs, but i'll say it, just in case.)

thanks,
   richard

Richard,

A java command line tool that we have used for years is AGPDIFF -  http://apgdiff.startnet.biz/

Usage is something like this ...
c:> java -jar apgdiff.jar --ignore-start-with pg_old.sql pg_new.sql > diff.sql

It is PostgreSQL specific. Takes two SQL files and produces the diff.sql, that we use as the basis of our production upgrade artifacts.

A very useful and basic tool..

HTH
-Damian