Re: Pressing delete when editing database name can drop the database on Mac OS X - Mailing list pgadmin-support

From Dave Page
Subject Re: Pressing delete when editing database name can drop the database on Mac OS X
Date
List pgadmin-support
Hi

On Mon, Oct 22, 2012 at 7:36 AM, Charles Gutjahr
<charlesg@ourcommunity.com.au> wrote:

> There is some weird behaviour in the Mac OS X version of pgAdmin that looks
> like a bug to me.
>
> When I edit the properties of an object, say edit the name of a database,
> pressing the delete key attempts to drop the database. Pressing backspace
> works fine, it deletes a single character in the name I'm editing. Pressing
> delete should delete the next character, but instead it triggers the drop
> database dialogue. It looks the delete key is being passed back to the main
> window instead of the text field I'm editing.
>
> I've tested the Windows and Mac OS X versions of pgAdmin, and it only occurs
> in the OS X version. In OS X pgAdmin 1.10.5 a "Drop database?" dialogue is
> shown when pressing delete, and in pgAdmin 1.16.0 a "Cannot drop object"
> dialogue is shown. The Windows pgAdmin 1.16.0 does not popup a dialogue when
> pressing delete.
>
> By the way, Mac keyboards can be a little confusing. There are two buttons
> labelled 'delete' on a full-size Mac keyboard. The traditional backspace key
> is labelled 'delete', whereas the traditional delete key is labelled 'delete
> ⌦'. It is the second one which triggers the drop.
>
> I take it that this isn't intended behaviour?

Not really, no. I can't reproduce it here, but then I only have my
laptop with me. I do have a full size keyboard back in the office, but
I won't be there for a week or so to test. I suspect what's happening
is that the dialogues don't catch the key (because it's not used by
any of the controls by default) and are passing it to their parent.

--
Dave Page
Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com

The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company