Re: [FEATURE REQUEST] select encoding for logs reader - Mailing list pgadmin-support

From Dave Page
Subject Re: [FEATURE REQUEST] select encoding for logs reader
Date
List pgadmin-support
On Mon, Dec 10, 2012 at 8:25 AM, Bartosz Dmytrak <bdmytrak@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all
> I have a proposition of a new feature: select of encoding which is used by
> logs reader in server status window. It looks like pgAdmin assumes UTF8, so
> sometimes gives an error.
> It is possible to read files with different encoding via postgres:
> eg:
> SELECT
> convert_from(pg_read_binary_file('pg_log/postgresql-2012-12-07_000000.log',
> 0, 2000), 'WIN1250');

That's easy enough, but the real issue is that the log files can
contain data in multiple encodings, because messages are written using
whatever encoding is used in each database, not one global one. It's
pretty horrible - and there's no way (that I've ever figured out) for
pgAdmin to safely deal with it.

In your case, we'd be even more stuck, as I see from the link you
posted that all your databases are in UTF-8 - so that's almost
certainly what any code we wrote would expect the logs to be in (in
which case, it also seems odd that UTF-8 doesn't actually work for
you).

--
Dave Page
Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com