Re: pgAdmin enhancement request. - Mailing list pgadmin-support

From Dave Page
Subject Re: pgAdmin enhancement request.
Date
List pgadmin-support
Hi

On Fri, May 10, 2013 at 8:27 AM, Yan, Shawn <Shawn.Yan@emc.com> wrote:
> Hi pgAdmin team,
>

> May I request an enhancement request for pgAdmin tool?  We are the support
> team for Greenplum product. It’s found when using pgAdmin tool to connect
> Greenplum database, this tool would automatically query the Greenplum
> catalog tables, like ‘pg_class’. But the query generated from pgAdmin tool
> have a very high cost. This high cost query would cause customer with
> resource queue control (max cost limit) unable to use pgAdmin tool.

I'm certainly not against the idea of changing those queries in
principle (they were written that way for historic reasons that aren't
applicable any more I believe), however they are constructed in a way
that would make this a non-trivial task that would require a lot of
testing against the dozen or so database versions we support as it
would likely require a lot of restructuring of version specific code.
This is because those queries are built with a lot of if-then-else
blocks that test for different server versions and types. I suspect
this is not something that any of the regular developers are likely to
find to do in the foreseeable future; there are certainly higher
priorities for most of us.

If one of the Greenplum team can work on this, it would certainly make
it more likely to happen promptly.

As a related note - although I haven't mentioned anything on list yet,
I've been wondering if we should drop Greenplum support from pgAdmin
in the future. We haven't had any contributions from Greenplum in
years, and whilst new features are not a requirement for us to
maintain support, we certainly do need Greenplum users (from EMC or
otherwise) to help with testing of new versions of pgAdmin - right
now, we have no idea if pgAdmin works at all with the latest versions
of Greenplum. If you can pass my concerns onto the relevant people in
EMC, maybe we can improve that situation.

--
Dave Page
Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com

The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company