Re: Implement geospatial data viewer in pgAdmin4 for PostGIS - Mailing list pgadmin-hackers

From Dave Page
Subject Re: Implement geospatial data viewer in pgAdmin4 for PostGIS
Date
List pgadmin-hackers
Hi

On Fri, May 25, 2018 at 5:00 AM, Xuri Gong <xurigoong@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi Dave,

Thank you very much for your feedback.

That's a good idea to see individual images. But in my opinion, for geometry data, user often tend to see not only the individual shapes, but also the locations, spatial relations and distribution in a map. For example, if the geometries are all points, displaying the single point won't show much information.

Sure - but if they're a bunch of polygons, it might be more interesting.

So I think rendering the output geometry data in map is necessary. If the user want to see the shape of a single geometry, he/she can select the related row in the data grid, then the viewer can highlight the geometry in the map.

I agree the map is the ultimate tool. However, I do think that being able to quickly view a single geometry from within the grid makes a lot of sense - and for users who want to easily visualise a single geometry, will be a great deal more convenient than the map.

Note that I'm not talking about anything complex here - just a convenience panel that renders the geometry, and maybe has zoom and scrolling. The viewing tab would be where the real magic happens - handling the map overlay and the ability to display many geometries at once.

--
Dave Page
Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com

The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company