Re: [pgAdmin4][Patch]: To fix Indentation issue in query tool - Mailing list pgadmin-hackers

From Dave Page
Subject Re: [pgAdmin4][Patch]: To fix Indentation issue in query tool
Date
List pgadmin-hackers
Hi

On Mon, Oct 16, 2017 at 1:21 PM, Murtuza Zabuawala <murtuza.zabuawala@enterprisedb.com> wrote:
Sorry, that was a typo in 'sqleditor/__init__.py'.

I have updated the patch, We require this option because by default codemirror indent the code with spaces.

Steps to re-produce (without patch):
1) With preference option
  Use spaces? = False
  Tab size = 4

2) Open query tool
- Press Tabs key 3-4 times & type select 1; <enter>
- Observe the new line indentation using right arrow key. (Attaching screenshot)

This patch allow us to use Tab key as indentation.

Now apply the patch set the option Use tabs for indentation? to true and check the same behaviour.

I understand the problem, but what I don't understand is why we need a new option for it, given that we already have use_spaces.

I can't think of any reason why you would want the two settings to have different values... therefore, why not have just one setting that is honoured whether the indent is the result of the user pressing the tab key, or an auto-indent following an end of line?