Re: SQL_ASCII support (or lack thereof) - Mailing list pgadmin-support

From Dave Page
Subject Re: SQL_ASCII support (or lack thereof)
Date
List pgadmin-support

On Thu, May 17, 2018 at 3:06 PM, richard coleman <rcoleman.ascentgl@gmail.com> wrote:
Why is pgAdmin 4 so hostile to SQL_ASCII databases?

We have several production databases dating back to 9.1 that are SQL_ASCII encoding but in pgAdmin4 I am constantly having to clean up non UTF8 data.  The same data works just fine in the pgAdmin3 series.

Running the same query in psql yields the expected results, but in this case I get:

"ERROR:  invalid byte sequence for encoding "UTF8": 0xc9 0x4f
SQL state: 22021"

in pgAdmin4.

If I remove the offending characters then pgAdmin4 returns a result set.  The database is SQL_ASCII encoded, pgAdmin4 shouldn't care that there are non UTF8 characters present.

pgAdmin doesn't - Python does. If you can give some examples, we may be able to figure out the issue and work around it.

It's worth noting though that it's usually a bad idea to use SQL_ASCII (that's not intended as an excuse, just as some advice).

--
Dave Page
Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com

The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company