Re: [pgAdmin][RM5157] Default sort order at start in view table databy primary key by default - Mailing list pgadmin-hackers

From Dave Page
Subject Re: [pgAdmin][RM5157] Default sort order at start in view table databy primary key by default
Date
List pgadmin-hackers

On Thu, Apr 16, 2020 at 12:08 PM navnath gadakh <navnath.gadakh@enterprisedb.com> wrote:
Hi Dave/Team,
          This patch is related to the default sort order for the view table data. In pgAdminIII default ordering is by primary key and this is not working in pgAdminIV.
I have attached the patch with the back end code.

Please review it.

Question: There is one suggestion on https://redmine.postgresql.org/issues/5157 about to put a checkbox in the configuration for this behavior.
                  Do I need to implement that really? I yes, Is preferences a good place for that? / Suggestions?

I think we should make this optional, and yes, Preferences is a good place. The reason is that sorting data is not without cost - at the very least it will require use of an index to access what may be the whole table.

--
Dave Page
VP & Chief Architect, Database Infrastructure

Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com
Twitter: @pgsnake