Re: zlib detection in Meson on Windows broken? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Dave Page
Subject Re: zlib detection in Meson on Windows broken?
Date
List pgsql-hackers

On Wed, 22 May 2024 at 17:50, Nazir Bilal Yavuz <byavuz81@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi,

On Wed, 22 May 2024 at 17:21, Dave Page <dpage@pgadmin.org> wrote:

> Hi
>
> On Wed, 22 May 2024 at 14:11, Nazir Bilal Yavuz <byavuz81@gmail.com> wrote:
>>

>> I tried to install your latest zlib artifact (nmake one) to the
>> Windows CI images (not the official ones) [1]. Then, I used the
>> default meson.build file to build but meson could not find the zlib.
>> After that, I modified it like you suggested before; I used a
>> 'cc.find_library()' to find zlib as a fallback method and it seems it
>> worked [2]. Please see meson setup logs below [3], does something
>> similar to the attached solve your problem?
>

> That patch does solve my problem - thank you!

I am glad that it worked!

Do you think that we need to have this patch in the upstream Postgres?
I am not sure because:
- There is a case that meson is able to find zlib but tests fail.
- This might be a band-aid fix rather than a permanent fix.

Yes I do:

- This is the documented way to build/install zlib on Windows.
- The behaviour with the patch matches <= PG16
- The behaviour with the patch is consistent with OpenSSL detection, and (from a quick, unrelated test), libxml2 detection.

Thanks!