Re: [BUG] View the data in selected object - doenst work as excpected. - Mailing list pgadmin-support

From Dave Page
Subject Re: [BUG] View the data in selected object - doenst work as excpected.
Date
List pgadmin-support

On Wed, Oct 31, 2012 at 1:50 PM, Lars Müller-Gilberger <lmg@ergovia.de> wrote:

Hello pgAdmin mailinglist,

First our test setup:

We are using pgpool2 3.2x as load balancer and connection proxy for a postgresql 9.2x streaming replication Cluster. Our Application connects to pgpool and pgpool is load balancing, caching etc. the workload.

We are using pgAdminIII 1.16 from our windows 7 workstations to manually connect to the pgpool proxy to change data, create tables etc.

Now the Problem:

If we are selecting a table in pgAdmin and then click on the “view the data in selected object.”  button, the contents of the table are shown properly. Then we change for example a bool value in a column and press the save button, the change is shown correctly, too. But if we now click on the refresh button the change is gone. It was reset to the original data before the change! Or so it seems…

If I take a look at the db-servers using pgAdmin the change is shown correctly. Psql shows the correct data on db-servers and on the pgpool-proxy too.  But even if I refresh, reconnect or restart pgAdmin while it is connected to pgpool-proxy the change is not displayed correctly on it.

First I thought it may be a pgpool problem but then I tried not to click on the button but right clicking on the table -> “View Data” -> “View top 100 Rows” and I was surprised to see the correct Values. If I try “View all data” from the same context menu instead it shows me the wrong data again. Same goes for applying a filter the Button uses the wrong data but if I try the context menu ->” View Data” -> “View Filtered Rows”  it works properly and uses the right data.

It’s the same for several machines in our company. This seems to be a Bug in the current version of pgAdmin. If not maybe anyone from the list can aid us to get a suitable solution.

Unlikely to be a bug in pgAdmin - it reissues the query whichever option you select. I suspect pgPool is either caching results or directing the select query to a server that hasn't received the update yet. In any case, running pgAdmin via pgPool is not something we test or support. It can potentially cause all sorts of weird issues.

--
Dave Page
Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com

The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company