Re: [pgsql-pkg-debian] Re: We should not transition to apt.postgresql.org until we have a PPA - Mailing list pgsql-www

From Dave Page
Subject Re: [pgsql-pkg-debian] Re: We should not transition to apt.postgresql.org until we have a PPA
Date
List pgsql-www
On Tue, Feb 19, 2013 at 12:22 AM, Greg Stark <stark@mit.edu> wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 18, 2013 at 11:58 PM, Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com> wrote:
>> 2. you don't have to look up the mapping for Debian's "cute" version names.
>
> Well the only reason that's true for Yum is that we only support one
> version. If you want to use rhel-5 or rhel-7 or rhel on POWER6 you're
> just out of luck. If we did you would have to make the same
> substitution.

Huh? It's true we don't support RHEL 7 (which isn't released yet) or
POWER, but we do support other variations.

> I don't actually have anything against PPA or providing a script which
> actually adds the right thing automatically. i just don't understand
> why people are saying the RPM instructions which seem exactly
> equivalent are in any way better.

yum.postgresql.org has a two step process to use - go to a webpage,
get the URL for the repo RPM for the platform you have and then run a
command to fetch and install it. That can actually be shortened to
"click the link and install the RPM using package manager when
prompted".

apt.postgresql.org has 4 steps at present, two of which involve
manually editing config files.

They may be roughly equivalent to most of us here in terms of the time
they will take, but they certainly are not equivalent to novice users
either in terms of effort, or perception.

--
Dave Page
Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com

The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company