Re: PgAdmin Crash Dialog - Mailing list pgadmin-support

From Dave Page
Subject Re: PgAdmin Crash Dialog
Date
List pgadmin-support

>>> https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=760350
>>> https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=754114
>>>
>>> Dave, would you have any suggestions what we could try to get the
>>> problem fixed? Would a proper debug build yield more insight?
>>
>> Unfortunately there are a number of such bugs that are not actually in
>> pgAdmin and we've been unable to get fixed. That's one of the reasons
>> why we're starting work on pgAdmin 4 which won't use wxWidgets. It
>> might be worth trying a debug build, but I'm not going to hold my
>> breath.
>>>
>>> Have you tried building with wx3.0 on your OS?
>>
>> wx3.0 *should* work, but most of us are still using 2.8 so it's
>> definitely not as well tested.
>
> I'm not totally familiar with the crashes of pgAdmin3 and wx3.0 or the
> history between the projects. I had tried to build pgAdmin from git against
> wx3.0 git-sourced build a couple of months back and was unsuccessful. I was
> a little pressed for time at that point so I grabbed pgAdmin3 from the Arch
> repositories and didn't give the matter another thought until I read this
> thread reply.
>
> I'm disappointed that development would move away from wxWidgets. I'm sure
> there are very valid reasons much discussed on the development mailing list
> (I'm not subscribed to that list). I'm not a big fan of the other GUI-widget
> kit alternatives out there (GTK, QT, and others).

There are numerous other reasons to move, that are unrelated to
wxWidgets except for the fact that it's a native C++ framework. Not
least of which is that there are very few people who want to
contribute to pgAdmin who are experienced with C++.

> Being a "concerned user", I cross-posted this discussion to the wxWidgets
> forums (http://forums.wxwidgets.org/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=40030). Maybe we
> can get some traction to help resolve these issues?

The issue that doublemax looked at is not the one under discussion on
this thread, and does indeed look legitimate (Ashesh - please take a
look at that). The one on this thread doesn't have any pgAdmin code in
the stack that I can see, though obviously we're initialising wx.
Unfortunately when users log pgAdmin issues on third party trackers
such as Debians, they rarely get back to us here.

For the record, over the last 12+ years we've been using wxWidgets,
numerous of the pgAdmin developers have engaged the wxWidgets
community to try to help get various issues fixed. On some issues
we've been successful (Stefan Csomor and Julian Smart in particular
have been very helpful on a number of occasions, and both of which
I've engaged with personally, multiple times), and others just don't
get resolved. There are lots of bugs in the wxWidgets trac that
reference pgAdmin, and lots that have come from us that don't.

--
Dave Page
Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com

The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company