Re: Persisting Query tabs/contents over restart - Mailing list pgadmin-support

From Dave Page
Subject Re: Persisting Query tabs/contents over restart
Date
List pgadmin-support
Hi

On Mon, Jun 8, 2020 at 8:17 PM Joseph <remid0d0s0@gmail.com> wrote:
Looks like the last time this might have been mentioned is 2016? Or not, don't know; I just started following this list.

I don't *think*, but I could very well be totally wrong, that it would be hard to persist the arrangement and contents of query tabs across sessions. There are several local storage options ...?

Persisting the tabs and their contents isn't overly hard.

Persisting the session configuration is much harder. Consider for example, that you ran a SET search_path = ... query, and then wrote a complex update script in its place. We reopen the tab with the query, but that doesn't include the SET search_path = ..., you then run the query forgetting about that point, and you've suddenly blown away a bunch of data by mistake.

There is real potential here for effectively handing people a loaded foot gun. We'd need to think carefully about whether it's feasible to recreate the same session configuration, or if/when/how to warn people that they may need to do that themselves.

I have to copy all my queries (which become quite complicated) into something like Notepad+ or vim before closing the window. Kind of a pain, as everyone knows.

Or just save them?

Any thoughts? I'm sure this has been considered many times and might be in the backlog.

Regards,

  -j

--
Dave Page