Re: pgadmin4 - which python - Mailing list pgadmin-support

From Dave Page
Subject Re: pgadmin4 - which python
Date
List pgadmin-support

On Tue, Nov 3, 2020 at 11:41 AM Egon Frerich <egon@frerich.eu> wrote:
Am 03.11.20 um 11:27 schrieb Dave Page:

> On Tue, Nov 3, 2020 at 10:24 AM Egon Frerich <egon@frerich.eu
> <mailto:egon@frerich.eu>> wrote:
>
>     I want to install pgadmin4 with Mint 19.3. and get this:
>
>     > thomas@Epsil192:~/Downloads/pgadmin4/pgadmin4-4.27/runtime$ sudo qmake
>     > Project MESSAGE: ==================================
>     > Project MESSAGE: Configuring the pgAdmin 4 runtime.
>     > Project MESSAGE: ==================================
>     > Project MESSAGE: Qt version: 5.12.8
>     > Project ERROR: The PGADMIN_PYTHON_DIR environment variable is not
>     set. Please set it to a directory path under which Python 3.4 or
>     later has been installed and try again.
>     > thomas@Epsil192:~/Downloads/pgadmin4/pgadmin4-4.27/runtime$ echo
>     $PGADMIN_PYTHON_DIR
>     > /usr/lib/python3.8/
>
>     I don't understand why $PGADMIN_PYTHON_DIR is not found.
>

> Probably because you're running qmake under sudo, but the environment
> variable is set in your own session.
>
> There shouldn't be any need to run qmake under sudo.
>
> --
> Dave Page
> Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com
> Twitter: @pgsnake
>
> EDB: http://www.enterprisedb.com

Same result without 'sudo':

> thomas@Epsil192:~/Downloads/pgadmin4/pgadmin4-4.27/runtime$ qmake
> Project MESSAGE: Configuring the pgAdmin 4 runtime.
> Project MESSAGE: Qt version: 5.12.8
> Project ERROR: The PGADMIN_PYTHON_DIR environment variable is not set. Please set it to a directory path under which Python 3.4 or later has been installed and try again.
> thomas@Epsil192:~/Downloads/pgadmin4/pgadmin4-4.27/runtime$ echo $PGADMIN_PYTHON_DIR
> /usr/lib/python3.8/
> thomas@Epsil192:~/Downloads/pgadmin4/pgadmin4-4.27/runtime$

Is your Python really installed in /usr/lib/python3.8, or is that just the libraries it includes? I would expect an installation in /usr to create that directory, which seems more in line with most distros.

e.g. If you build Python 3.8 and install it to $INSTALLDIR, you'd end up with the python3.8 directory being in $INSTALLDIR/lib/python3.8