From Dave Page
Subject Re: apt.postgresql.org django app for www.postgresql.org
Date
Re: apt.postgresql.org django app for www.postgresql.org
List pgsql-www
Hi

On Wed, Feb 27, 2019 at 3:09 PM Christoph Berg <myon@debian.org> wrote:
Re: To PostgreSQL WWW 2019-01-30 <20190130154803.GF4383@msg.df7cb.de>
> Updated for python3. I had to fix several places where {{package}} was
> rendered as "Package Object". The new syntax is {{package.package}}.

Ping?

 I spent a bunch of time playing with this, as I intend to get repo browsing for both Yum and Apt onto the website.

There was quite a bit of work to do to get it working with modern versions of Django and Python 3. Once I got through enough of that to start looking at the actual functionality what I found was *really* comprehensive. Unfortunately I think there's actually far more there than we should put on the main website.

- I think the QA section is clearly something that's aimed at you as maintainers of the apt repos. This definitely doesn't belong on the main website in my opinion.

- The madison interface is also interesting (academically), but I think is of little use to the vast majority of our users; I'm not even sure that the majority of Debian/Ubuntu users would know about rmadison.

- Similarly, I think the binary and source package pages are far more comprehensive than most of our users need or would care about.

One of the biggest barriers of adoption to PostgreSQL is the perceived complexity, including that of getting it up and running. That's why I'm spending a lot of time at the moment trying to simplify and clarify the download and installation processes. I think what we have in this patch will simply be information overload for most of our users.

My suggestion is that we incorporate a relatively simple browser into the main website, which allows users to easily browse the available packages and see the details of them. I already have the repo scanning part of that done for both apt and yum, generating JSON output in a way that can be integrated with our download server sync process, which can load that into the website database.

I would support a separate site (probably under apt.enterprisedb.com) that supports the level of functionality you have in your patch; and I think much, if not all of the code you currently have could be used for that. This could of course be linked from the main website.

Thanks.

--
Dave Page
Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com