Re: initdb.exe changes --locale option - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Dave Page
Subject Re: initdb.exe changes --locale option
Date
List pgsql-bugs
Hi

On Mon, Sep 10, 2012 at 10:07 PM, Mike Toews <mwtoews@gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm using the "postgresql-9.2.0-1-windows.exe" installer, from
> Enterprise DB, on a Windows Vista 32-bit computer.
>
> The issue was noticed with the GUI installer, where I chose the local
> option "English, New Zealand" from a drop-down menu, but the resulting
> database cluster has "English_United States.1252".
>
> With initdb.exe, I see that --locale has unexpected behaviour. I'll
> present a few examples that each represent key : value, where key is
> set with --local="key" and value is from the output: The database
> cluster will be initialized with locale "value".
>
> C : C
> English : English_United States.1252
> French : French_France.1252
> nonsense : English_United Kingdom.1252
> French, Canada : French_France.1252
> French_Canada : French_Canada.1252
> English, Canada : English_United States.1252
> English_New_Zealand : English_United Kingdom.1252
> English, New Zealand : English_United States.1252
> English_New Zealand : English_New Zealand.1252
>
> There are some interesting interpretations in the above, but I
> understand they probably depend on the OS (Windows Vista, in this

Bizzarre.

> case). In the install-postgresql.log file I see attempts to get a list
> of available system locales:
>
> Executing C:\Users\mwtoews\AppData\Local\Temp\postgresql_installer\getlocales.exe
> Script exit code: 0
>
> Script output:
>  AfrikaansxxCOMMAxxxxSPxxSouthxxSPxxAfrica=Afrikaans, South Africa
> AlbanianxxCOMMAxxxxSPxxAlbania=Albanian, Albania

You can ignore most of that - the weirdness there is just the format
we present the data to the Bitrock installer code in for it to
populate the list. Ugly as sin, but entirely generated from the local
system.

--
Dave Page
Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com