Re: [pgAdmin4][Patch]: Allow user to choose background colour for server - Mailing list pgadmin-hackers

From Dave Page
Subject Re: [pgAdmin4][Patch]: Allow user to choose background colour for server
Date
List pgadmin-hackers
Hi

On Mon, Nov 20, 2017 at 5:47 PM, Murtuza Zabuawala <murtuza.zabuawala@enterprisedb.com> wrote:
On Mon, Nov 20, 2017 at 10:40 PM, Dave Page <dpage@pgadmin.org> wrote:
Hi

On Mon, Nov 20, 2017 at 4:19 PM, Murtuza Zabuawala <murtuza.zabuawala@enterprisedb.com> wrote:
Hi Dave,

PFA updated patch.

OK, that's looking better. I just found a couple of smaller issue this time:

- Why can't I select a foreground colour unless I select a non-white background? That seems inconvenient and unnecessary
​Because we can only pass CSS classes to aciTree node which it stores in html element and we are passing bg & fg colors as additional classes like <icon_class> <bg_color> <fg_color>,
When we fetch the class list from html element, we get array of classes, so if we have any value at index 1 then it is bgcolor and we have value at index 2 then it is fgcolor, and using these css colors then we create dynamic style tag for the acitree node which inject at runtime in DOM.

So we can only identify them by index, so we have disabled the fgcolor field if bgcolor field is not provided.

Implementation details like this are really not a good reason to confuse the user. Why can't we just default the background colour to white if unspecified (which it will be anyway), thus ensuring there is always the expected number of elements? Then, the user can specify (for example) red on white - which I suspect would be a popular choice (or variations thereof).

- If I set a foreground and background colour, and then later set the background to a new colour and the foreground to "no colour", the background change takes effect immediately, but the foreground change requires a refresh (changing to a different foreground colour seems to work fine though).
​Fixed, Older style tag was not cleaning up properly and it was pickking up color from previous style tag.​