Re: Feature test regression failures - Mailing list pgadmin-hackers

From Dave Page
Subject Re: Feature test regression failures
Date
List pgadmin-hackers
On Mon, Mar 27, 2017 at 11:47 AM, Atira Odhner <aodhner@pivotal.io> wrote:

>> Tira's various patches all seem to be flakey :-(:
>

> Yes, that's because the way it was working before was to arbitrarily wait a
> full second. My intent with the patches was not to apply them to the code,
> but to demonstrate that the issue was not related to time spent loading js
> files through require.
>
> George and Sarah did a little poking around using aciTree and it seemed like
> the issue was related to pgadmin code not aciTree code.
> Since we are working on re-doing much of the tree in React, it seems like it
> might make sense to wait on that for trying to solve this issue.

A change as large as moving to React will be for v2.x, not v1.x, so we
cannot really wait unless we want to write off the feature tests as
unusable for the forseeable future.

>> I also wonder if this would tie in with some of the code optimisation work
>> I've been tinkering with. I've been looking at having a build step for
>> packages that creates minimised versions of HTML/CSS/JS files, and
>> automatically using those if DEBUG == False and they are present, falling
>> back to un-minimised if required. I do wonder if as part of that
>> minimisation, we could actually combine all these files together, and load
>> everything in one go, saving not just bandwidth but round trips as well.
>

> Oh, you're working on a build step! Cool! We should probably coordinate
> since we are also adding a build step in order to bring in React. We are
> pulling in Grunt and either browserify or webpack.

I'm tinkering with ideas for optimising the code we ship to users in
my spare time. This isn't something I'm prioritising. If you're
working on similar ideas, please do share.

--
Dave Page
Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com

The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company