Re: Pgadmin python executable requires extended capabilities - Mailing list pgadmin-support

From Dave Page
Subject Re: Pgadmin python executable requires extended capabilities
Date
List pgadmin-support

On Tue, Jul 20, 2021 at 9:30 AM Ashesh Vashi <ashesh.vashi@enterprisedb.com> wrote:

On Tue, Jul 20, 2021 at 1:43 PM Dave Page <dpage@pgadmin.org> wrote:
Hi

On Mon, Jul 19, 2021 at 8:53 PM Albert Serrallé <albert.serralle@adevinta.com> wrote:
Hello all,

I'm trying to run pgadmin in a Kubernetes cluster with enforced Pod Security Policies. Long story short, in the cluster, none of the Linux capabilities are allowed.

The Dockerfile enables this for the python exec:

setcap CAP_NET_BIND_SERVICE=+eip /usr/bin/python3.8 && \

So the entrypoint.sh fails at startup time, as soon as it invokes the python executable:

/entrypoint.sh: line 70: /venv/bin/python3: Operation not permitted

I removed this requirement creating a new Docker image with the following definition:

FROM dpage/pgadmin4:5.5
USER root
RUN setcap -r /usr/bin/python3.8
USER pgadmin

And then it boots without problem (using the 5050 port).

Do you think it makes sense to modify the main Dockerfile to avoid this problem?

If we do that, then we break the container for anyone who is using a privileged port for the server (e.g. everyone using default settings). I don't see how we could introduce such a change without causing problems for such users.
Two separate containers can help.

Sure, but that requires more testing and more builds to maintain. If this were a common request, I would be inclined to re-prioritise the resources to handle the additional work, however resources are thin (as always), and it doesn't make sense in response to a single request (with apologies to Albert of course).