Re: [Patch] Data type cache to speed up query tool - Mailing list pgadmin-hackers

From Dave Page
Subject Re: [Patch] Data type cache to speed up query tool
Date
List pgadmin-hackers
Hi

On Mon, Nov 26, 2012 at 1:12 AM, aiht <aihtdikh@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> * When a pgConn is Duplicate()d, its cache is copied for the new
>>> connection
>>> to use, but as far as I can see this is only called when doing File->New
>>> Window in the query tool. If more pgConns are constructed by Duplicate()
>>> then caching may be more efficient.
>>
>> Not so sure about that, as mentioned above.
>
> Yeah, now that I've looked closer it doesn't seem so easy to Duplicate()
> other connections. It seems safe in the query tool because the new window
> uses the same host/db/etc. But perhaps I am missing some points about e.g.
> schema search paths?

It should be safe - we're only duplicating the connection parameters
and then opening a new connection with them. We're not copying session
state or anything like that.

--
Dave Page
Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com