Re: ModifyTable overheads in generic plans - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Amit Langote
Subject Re: ModifyTable overheads in generic plans
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Mon, Nov 2, 2020 at 10:19 PM Heikki Linnakangas <hlinnaka@iki.fi> wrote:
> On 30/10/2020 08:13, Amit Langote wrote:
> > /*
> >  * Perform WITH CHECK OPTIONS check, if any.
> >  */
> > static void
> > ExecProcessWithCheckOptions(ModifyTableState *mtstate, ResultRelInfo *resultRelInfo,
> >                                                       TupleTableSlot *slot, WCOKind wco_kind)
> > {
> >       ModifyTable *node = (ModifyTable *) mtstate->ps.plan;
> >       EState *estate = mtstate->ps.state;
> >
> >       if (node->withCheckOptionLists == NIL)
> >               return;
> >
> >       /* Initialize expression state if not already done. */
> >       if (resultRelInfo->ri_WithCheckOptions == NIL)
> >       {
> >               int             whichrel = resultRelInfo - mtstate->resultRelInfo;
> >               List   *wcoList;
> >               List   *wcoExprs = NIL;
> >               ListCell   *ll;
> >
> >               Assert(whichrel >= 0 && whichrel < mtstate->mt_nplans);
> >               wcoList = (List *) list_nth(node->withCheckOptionLists, whichrel);
> >               foreach(ll, wcoList)
> >               {
> >                       WithCheckOption *wco = (WithCheckOption *) lfirst(ll);
> >                       ExprState  *wcoExpr = ExecInitQual((List *) wco->qual,
> >                                                                                          &mtstate->ps);
> >
> >                       wcoExprs = lappend(wcoExprs, wcoExpr);
> >               }
> >
> >               resultRelInfo->ri_WithCheckOptions = wcoList;
> >               resultRelInfo->ri_WithCheckOptionExprs = wcoExprs;
> >       }
> >
> >       /*
> >        * ExecWithCheckOptions() will skip any WCOs which are not of the kind
> >        * we are looking for at this point.
> >        */
> >       ExecWithCheckOptions(wco_kind, resultRelInfo, slot, estate);
> > }
>
> Can we do this initialization in ExecGetResultRelation()? That would
> seem much more straightforward. Is there any advantage to delaying it
> here? And same thing with the junk filter and the RETURNING list.
>
> (/me reads patch further) I presume that's what you referred to in the
> commit message:
>
> >     Also, extend this lazy initialization approach to some of the
> >     individual fields of ResultRelInfo such that even for the result
> >     relations that are initialized, those fields are only initialized on
> >     first access.  While no performance improvement is to be expected
> >     there, it can lead to a simpler initialization logic of the
> >     ResultRelInfo itself, because the conditions for whether a given
> >     field is needed or not tends to look confusing.  One side-effect
> >     of this is that any "SubPlans" referenced in the expressions of
> >     those fields are also lazily initialized and hence changes the
> >     output of EXPLAIN (without ANALYZE) in some regression tests.
>

> I'm now curious what the initialization logic would look like, if we
> initialized those fields in ExecGetResultRelation(). At a quick glance
> on the conditions on when those initializations are done in the patch
> now, it would seem pretty straightforward. If the target list contains
> [...]

Yeah, it's not that complicated to initialize those things in
ExecGetResultRelation().  In fact, ExecGetResultRelation() (or its
subroutine ExecBuildResultRelation()) housed those initializations in
the earlier versions of this patch, but I changed that after our
discussion about being lazy about initializing as much stuff as we
can.  Maybe I should revert that?

--
Amit Langote
EDB: http://www.enterprisedb.com