Re: generic plans and "initial" pruning - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Amit Langote
Subject Re: generic plans and "initial" pruning
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Tue, Mar 15, 2022 at 3:19 PM Amit Langote <amitlangote09@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 15, 2022 at 5:06 AM Robert Haas <robertmhaas@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Mon, Mar 14, 2022 at 3:38 PM Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
> > > Also, while I've not spent much time at all reading this patch,
> > > it seems rather desperately undercommented, and a lot of the
> > > new names are unintelligible.  In particular, I suspect that the
> > > patch is significantly redesigning when/where run-time pruning
> > > happens (unless it's just letting that be run twice); but I don't
> > > see any documentation or name changes suggesting where that
> > > responsibility is now.
> >
> > I am sympathetic to that concern. I spent a while staring at a
> > baffling comment in 0001 only to discover it had just been moved from
> > elsewhere. I really don't feel that things in this are as clear as
> > they could be -- although I hasten to add that I respect the people
> > who have done work in this area previously and am grateful for what
> > they did. It's been a huge benefit to the project in spite of the
> > bumps in the road. Moreover, this isn't the only code in PostgreSQL
> > that needs improvement, or the worst. That said, I do think there are
> > problems. I don't yet have a position on whether this patch is making
> > that better or worse.
>
> Okay, I'd like to post a new version with the comments edited to make
> them a bit more intelligible.  I understand that the comments around
> the new invocation mode(s) of runtime pruning are not as clear as they
> should be, especially as the changes that this patch wants to make to
> how things work are not very localized.

Actually, another area where the comments may not be as clear as they
should have been is the changes that the patch makes to the
AcquireExecutorLocks() logic that decides which relations are locked
to safeguard the plan tree for execution, which are those given by
RTE_RELATION entries in the range table.

Without the patch, they are found by actually scanning the range table.

With the patch, it's the same set of RTEs if the plan doesn't contain
any pruning nodes, though instead of the range table, what is scanned
is a bitmapset of their RT indexes that is made available by the
planner in the form of PlannedStmt.lockrels.  When the plan does
contain a pruning node (PlannedStmt.containsInitialPruning), the
bitmapset is constructed by calling ExecutorGetLockRels() on the plan
tree, which walks it to add RT indexes of relations mentioned in the
Scan nodes, while skipping any nodes that are pruned after performing
initial pruning steps that may be present in their containing parent
node's PartitionPruneInfo.  Also, the RT indexes of partitioned tables
that are present in the PartitionPruneInfo itself are also added to
the set.

While expanding comments added by the patch to make this clear, I
realized that there are two problems, one of them quite glaring:

* Planner's constructing this bitmapset and its copying along with the
PlannedStmt is pure overhead in the cases that this patch has nothing
to do with, which is the kind of thing that Andres cautioned against
upthread.

* Not all partitioned tables that would have been locked without the
patch to come up with a Append/MergeAppend plan may be returned by
ExecutorGetLockRels().  For example, if none of the query's
runtime-prunable quals were found to match the partition key of an
intermediate partitioned table and thus that partitioned table not
included in the PartitionPruneInfo.  Or if an Append/MergeAppend
covering a partition tree doesn't contain any PartitionPruneInfo to
begin with, in which case, only the leaf partitions and none of
partitioned parents would be accounted for by the
ExecutorGetLockRels() logic.

The 1st one seems easy to fix by not inventing PlannedStmt.lockrels
and just doing what's being done now: scan the range table if
(!PlannedStmt.containsInitialPruning).

The only way perhaps to fix the second one is to reconsider the
decision we made in the following commit:

    commit 52ed730d511b7b1147f2851a7295ef1fb5273776
    Author: Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>
    Date:   Sun Oct 7 14:33:17 2018 -0400

    Remove some unnecessary fields from Plan trees.

    In the wake of commit f2343653f, we no longer need some fields that
    were used before to control executor lock acquisitions:

    * PlannedStmt.nonleafResultRelations can go away entirely.

    * partitioned_rels can go away from Append, MergeAppend, and ModifyTable.
    However, ModifyTable still needs to know the RT index of the partition
    root table if any, which was formerly kept in the first entry of that
    list.  Add a new field "rootRelation" to remember that.  rootRelation is
    partly redundant with nominalRelation, in that if it's set it will have
    the same value as nominalRelation.  However, the latter field has a
    different purpose so it seems best to keep them distinct.

That is, add back the partitioned_rels field, at least to Append and
MergeAppend, to store the RT indexes of partitioned tables whose
children's paths are present in Append/MergeAppend.subpaths.

Thoughts?

--
Amit Langote
EDB: http://www.enterprisedb.com