Re: generic plans and "initial" pruning - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Amit Langote
Subject Re: generic plans and "initial" pruning
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Fri, Dec 9, 2022 at 7:49 PM Alvaro Herrera <alvherre@alvh.no-ip.org> wrote:
> On 2022-Dec-09, Amit Langote wrote:
> > On Fri, Dec 9, 2022 at 6:52 PM Alvaro Herrera <alvherre@alvh.no-ip.org> wrote:
> > > Remind me again why is part_prune_results_list not part of struct
> > > CachedPlan then?  I tried to understand that based on comments upthread,
> > > but I was unable to find anything.
> >
> > > (My first reaction to your above comment was "well, rename GetCachedPlan
> > > then, maybe to GetRunnablePlan", but then I'm wondering if CachedPlan is
> > > in any way a structure that must be "immutable" in the way parser output
> > > is.  Looking at the comment at the top of plancache.c it appears to me
> > > that it isn't, but maybe I'm missing something.)
> >
> > CachedPlan *is* supposed to be read-only per the comment above
> > CachedPlanSource definition:
> >
> >  * ...If we are using a generic
> >  * cached plan then it is meant to be re-used across multiple executions, so
> >  * callers must always treat CachedPlans as read-only.
>
> I read that as implying that the part_prune_results_list must remain
> intact as long as no invalidations occur.  Does part_prune_result_list
> really change as a result of something other than a sinval event?
> Keep in mind that if a sinval message that touches one of the relations
> in the plan arrives, then we'll discard it and generate it afresh.  I
> don't see that the part_prune_results_list would change otherwise, but
> maybe I misunderstand?

Pruning will be done afresh on every fetch of a given cached plan when
CheckCachedPlan() is called on it, so the part_prune_results_list part
will be discarded and rebuilt as many times as the plan is executed.
You'll find a description around CachedPlanSavePartitionPruneResults()
that's in v12.

--
Thanks, Amit Langote
EDB: http://www.enterprisedb.com