Re: Declarative partitioning optimization for large amountof partitions - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Amit Langote
Subject Re: Declarative partitioning optimization for large amountof partitions
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Fri, Mar 24, 2017 at 11:06 PM, Simon Riggs <simon@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
> On 1 March 2017 at 01:36, Amit Langote <Langote_Amit_f8@lab.ntt.co.jp> wrote:
>
>> I don't know which way you're thinking of fixing this, but a planner patch
>> to implement faster partition-pruning will have taken care of this, I
>> think.  As you may know, even declarative partitioned tables currently
>> depend on constraint exclusion for partition-pruning and planner's current
>> approach of handling inheritance requires to open all the child tables
>> (partitions), whereas the new approach hopefully shouldn't need to do
>> that.  I am not sure if looking for a more localized fix for this would be
>> worthwhile, although I may be wrong.
>
> What "new approach" are we discussing?
>
> Is there a patch or design discussion?

Neither at the moment.  As Aleksander said in his reply I was
referring to Dmitry Ivanov's plan of porting pg_pathman's planner
functionality to core that he mentioned on the declarative
partitioning thread back in December [1].

Thanks,
Amit

[1] https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/426b2b01-61e0-43aa-bd84-c6fcf516f1c3%40postgrespro.ru