Re: ALTER TABLE .. DETACH PARTITION CONCURRENTLY - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Amit Langote
Subject Re: ALTER TABLE .. DETACH PARTITION CONCURRENTLY
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Hi Alvaro,

Studying the patch to understand how it works.

On Tue, Aug 4, 2020 at 8:49 AM Alvaro Herrera <alvherre@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
> Why two transactions?  The reason is that in order for this to work, we
> make a catalog change (mark it detached), and commit so that all
> concurrent transactions can see the change.  A second transaction waits
> for anybody who holds any lock on the partitioned table and grabs Access
> Exclusive on the partition (which now no one cares about, if they're
> looking at the partitioned table), where the DDL action on the partition
> can be completed.

+   /*
+    * Concurrent mode has to work harder; first we add a new constraint to the
+    * partition that matches the partition constraint.  The reason for this is
+    * that the planner may have made optimizations that depend on the
+    * constraint.  XXX Isn't it sufficient to invalidate the partition's
+    * relcache entry?
+       /* Add constraint on partition, equivalent to the partition
constraint */
+       n = makeNode(Constraint);
+       n->contype = CONSTR_CHECK;
+       n->conname = NULL;
+       n->location = -1;
+       n->is_no_inherit = false;
+       n->raw_expr = NULL;
+       n->cooked_expr =
nodeToString(make_ands_explicit(RelationGetPartitionQual(partRel)));
+       n->initially_valid = true;
+       n->skip_validation = true;
+       /* It's a re-add, since it nominally already exists */
+       ATAddCheckConstraint(wqueue, tab, partRel, n,
+                            true, false, true, ShareUpdateExclusiveLock);

I suspect that we don't really need this defensive constraint.  I mean
even after committing the 1st transaction, the partition being
detached still has relispartition set to true and
RelationGetPartitionQual() still returns the partition constraint, so
it seems the constraint being added above is duplicative.  Moreover,
the constraint is not removed as part of any cleaning up after the
DETACH process, so repeated attach/detach of the same partition
results in the constraints piling up:

create table foo (a int, b int) partition by range (a);
create table foo1 partition of foo for values from (1) to (2);
create table foo2 partition of foo for values from (2) to (3);
alter table foo detach partition foo2 concurrently;
alter table foo attach partition foo2 for values from (2) to (3);
alter table foo detach partition foo2 concurrently;
alter table foo attach partition foo2 for values from (2) to (3);
\d foo2
                Table "public.foo2"
 Column |  Type   | Collation | Nullable | Default
--------+---------+-----------+----------+---------
 a      | integer |           |          |
 b      | integer |           |          |
Partition of: foo FOR VALUES FROM (2) TO (3)
Check constraints:
    "foo2_a_check" CHECK (a IS NOT NULL AND a >= 2 AND a < 3)
    "foo2_a_check1" CHECK (a IS NOT NULL AND a >= 2 AND a < 3)

Noticed a bug/typo in the patched RelationBuildPartitionDesc():

-   inhoids = find_inheritance_children(RelationGetRelid(rel), NoLock);
+   inhoids = find_inheritance_children(RelationGetRelid(rel), NoLock,
+                                       include_detached);

You're passing NoLock for include_detached which means you never
actually end up including detached partitions from here.  I think it
is due to this bug that partition-concurrent-attach test fails in my
run.  Also, the error seen in the following hunk of
detach-partition-concurrently-1 test is not intentional:

+starting permutation: s1brr s1prep s1s s2d s1s s1exec2 s1c
+step s1brr: BEGIN ISOLATION LEVEL REPEATABLE READ;
+step s1prep: PREPARE f(int) AS INSERT INTO d_listp VALUES ($1);
+step s1s: SELECT * FROM d_listp;
+a
+
+1
+2
+step s2d: ALTER TABLE d_listp DETACH PARTITION d_listp2 CONCURRENTLY;
<waiting ...>
+step s1s: SELECT * FROM d_listp;
+a
+
+1
+step s1exec2: EXECUTE f(2); DEALLOCATE f;
+step s2d: <... completed>
+error in steps s1exec2 s2d: ERROR:  no partition of relation
"d_listp" found for row
+step s1c: COMMIT;

As you're intending to make the executor always *include* detached
partitions, the insert should be able route (2) to d_listp2, the
detached partition.  It's the bug mentioned above that causes the
executor's partition descriptor build to falsely fail to include the
detached partition.

--
Amit Langote