Re: ModifyTable overheads in generic plans - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Amit Langote
Subject Re: ModifyTable overheads in generic plans
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Thu, Apr 8, 2021 at 3:02 AM Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
> > On Wed, Apr 7, 2021 at 12:34 PM Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
> >> Indeed, that's a pretty impressive comparison.
>
> > +1. That looks like a big improvement.
>
> > In a vacuum, you'd hope that partitioning a table would make things
> > faster rather than slower, when only one partition is implicated. Or
> > at least that the speed would stay about the same. And, while this is
> > a lot better, we're clearly not there yet. So I hope that, in future
> > releases, we can continue to find ways to whittle down the overhead.
>
> Note that this test case includes plan_cache_mode = force_generic_plan,
> so it's deliberately kneecapping our ability to tell that "only one
> partition is implicated".

For the record, here are the numbers for plan_cache_mode = auto.
(Actually, plancache.c always goes with custom planning for
partitioned tables.)

v13.2
nparts  10cols      20cols      40cols

64      13391       12140       10958
128     13436       12297       10643
256     12564       12294       10355
1024    11450       10600       9020

v14dev HEAD

64      14925       14648       13361
128     14379       14333       13138
256     14478       14246       13316
1024    12744       12621       11579

There's 10-20% improvement in this case too for various partition
counts, which really has more to do with 86dc90056 than the work done
here.

--
Amit Langote
EDB: http://www.enterprisedb.com