Re: CVE-2017-7484-induced bugs, or, btree cmp functions are not leakproof? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Amit Langote
Subject Re: CVE-2017-7484-induced bugs, or, btree cmp functions are not leakproof?
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Sat, Jul 14, 2018 at 11:29 PM Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:

> > ... For
> > partitioning, we can rely on all the columns being inherited, but not
> > for plain inheritance.
>
> Uh, what?

Maybe he meant that partitioning doesn't allow locally defined columns
in children, but plain inheritance does.  Btw, Peter also said this
earlier in the paragraph:

"This could also happen through inheritance, so we should check that as
well, but we need to make sure that the particular column is inherited
and not added locally."

But maybe for the case under question, that's irrelevant, because
we're only interested in access to inherited columns as those are the
only ones that can be accessed in queries via parent.

Thanks,
Amit