Re: [Proposal] Arbitrary queries in postgres_fdw - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From rtorre@carto.com
Subject Re: [Proposal] Arbitrary queries in postgres_fdw
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Tue, Nov 5, 2019 at 7:41 PM David Fetter <david@fetter.org> wrote:
> Could you use IMPORT FOREIGN SCHEMA for that? I seem to recall that
> I've managed to import information_schema successfully.

Yes, I tried it and I can import and operate on the
information_schema, which actually covers part of my needs. It does so
at the expense of polluting the catalog with foreign tables, but I can
live with it. Thanks for pointing out.

There are other cases that can be covered with either this proposal or
CREATE ROUTINE MAPPING, but not with the current state of things (as
far as I know). E.g: calling version() or postgis_version() on the
foreign end.

It's largely a matter of convenience vs development effort. That said,
I understand this may not make the design quality cut.

Regards
-Rafa