Re: Fwd: Log file - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Igor Korot
Subject Re: Fwd: Log file
Date
List pgsql-general
Hi, Tom,

On Mon, Oct 29, 2018 at 1:56 PM Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:

> Igor Korot <ikorot01@gmail.com> writes:
> > I'm trying to test the functionality of logging on my older Mac with
> > PostgreSQL 9.1.
> > I see that the logile is created with the owner of postgres and the
> > group of wheel.
>
> Well, more specifically, it's created under the OS user & group that
> the server is running under.

OK, that clarifies it a little.
I thought I could just crate a user called "igor", give him all
"postgres" permissions
and login to the server as "igor" and not "postgres" every time I test.
But since the server will probably run from the "postgres" account
during the machine
start-up that won't work.

> > Is there a way to make it open with "<current_user><current_user>"?
>
> What current user?  The SQL user name might not correspond to any
> OS-level entity at all.  Even if it did, it's quite unlikely that
> the OS would permit the server process to create files owned by
> some other OS user --- doing so would be a giant security risk.

The current_user = user who logged in to the machine and open the
current session.
If I log in to the machine as "igor" and try to create a file in vi/nano/notepad
I will be the owner of this file and the group will be the group to which
I belong as a user.

And I'm talking about specifically to the result of the "ls -la"
output from the *nix/OSX
POV.

> > Or I will have to change the owner/group manuall every time I will
> > access the file?
>
> You can set up the log files as readable by the OS group of the server
> (see log_file_mode), and then grant membership in that group to whichever
> OS accounts you trust.  You may also need to move the log directory
> out from under $PGDATA to make that work, since PG doesn't like
> world-readable data directories.

I'm trying to make the log file of PG readable of the user who logs in
to the current
OS session. I don't need a write permission, just read.
Because my program will not be started from the "postgres" account.

Thank you.