Re: errcodes.h and others not generated when compiling 13.6 on M1 Mac - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Sam Kidman
Subject Re: errcodes.h and others not generated when compiling 13.6 on M1 Mac
Date
List pgsql-general
>Are you using any nondefault make options?  Are you invoking our Makefile from some make script of your own?
This all came about because we use asdf as a version manager which compiles the versions of various programs you want to use. There's potentially a problem with the asdf plugin for postgres which I'd like to fix. I couldn't make head nor tails of the problem with asdf, so I cloned the source and started trying to compile it myself. The error I get when I compile it myself and when asdf does it are the same (the problem with header files not being generated)

When I compile it myself I'm not doing anything more complicated than:
git checkout REL_13_6
./configure
./make

modulo running git clean -f -d -X and make clean to get back to a clean source checkout.

> You didn't answer as to what your build environment is, eg do you have any MacPorts or Homebrew packages in play.
Sorry, it's difficult to answer as I'm not sure exactly what you're asking. But I do use homebrew. I do NOT use MacPorts.
AFAIK, the version of perl that is used is the system version. I do have the xcode dev tools installed. I can provide more information, but I'll need more specific questions.

>What "make" version are you using exactly?
➜  postgres git:(d7db957207) make -v
GNU Make 3.81
Copyright (C) 2006  Free Software Foundation, Inc.
PARTICULAR PURPOSE.

This program built for i386-apple-darwin11.3.0

On Fri, Apr 29, 2022 at 10:16 AM Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
Sam Kidman <sam@fresho.com> writes:
> So for some reason that submake-generated-headers target isn't getting
> called for us.

Hmph.  What "make" version are you using exactly?  Are you using
any nondefault make options?  Are you invoking our Makefile from
some make script of your own?  (There are some hacks involving
toplevel vs not-top-level Makefiles that you might be falling
foul of.)

                        regards, tom lane