Re: Reproducible "Bus error" in 9.2.3 during database dump restoration (Ubuntu Server 12.04 LTS) - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Dmitry Koterov
Subject Re: Reproducible "Bus error" in 9.2.3 during database dump restoration (Ubuntu Server 12.04 LTS)
Date
List pgsql-hackers
x86_64, PostgreSQL 9.2. is run within an OpenVZ container and generates SIGBUS.
PostgreSQL 9.1 has no such problem.

(OpenVZ is a linux kernel-level virtualization which adds namespaces for processes, networking, quotas etc. It works not like e.g. Xen or VMWare, because all containers share the same kernel.)

On Wed, Mar 6, 2013 at 7:51 AM, Merlin Moncure <mmoncure@gmail.com> wrote:
On Tue, Mar 5, 2013 at 3:04 PM, Kevin Grittner <kgrittn@ymail.com> wrote:
> Dmitry Koterov <dmitry@koterov.ru> wrote:
>
>> LOG:  server process (PID 18705) was terminated by signal 7: Bus error
>
> So far I have only heard of this sort of error when PostgreSQL is
> running in a virtual machine and the VM software is buggy.  If you
> are not running in a VM, my next two suspects would be
> hardware/BIOS configuration issues, or an antivirus product.

for posterity, what's the hardware platform?  software bus errors are
more likely on non x86 hardware.

merlin