Re: Checkpoint start logging is done inside critical section - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Ants Aasma
Subject Re: Checkpoint start logging is done inside critical section
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Thu, Oct 18, 2018 at 9:02 AM Amit Kapila <amit.kapila16@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Oct 18, 2018 at 10:27 AM Andres Freund <andres@anarazel.de> wrote:
> > (that's why we mark the ctx as being ok with that).
> >

> Yeah, as the palloc for log message would be called in an ErrorContext
> where it is safe to do the allocation, so ideally this shouldn't be a
> problem.  So, it seems to me that this is not a problem, Ants, do you
> see any problem in any particular scenario or was this based on
> theoretical analysis?

This was purely theoretical, as also evidenced by lack of complaints
even though the code has been like that for a very long time. I was
actually mostly worried about extension code run by logging hook
causing the panic.

Regards,
Ants Aasma