Re: Staging Database - Mailing list pgsql-general

From BladeOfLight16
Subject Re: Staging Database
Date
Re: Staging Database  (Steve Crawford <scrawford@pinpointresearch.com>)
List pgsql-general
On Wed, Aug 7, 2013 at 4:43 AM, Luca Ferrari <fluca1978@infinito.it> wrote:
Not really helpful, but here are my considerations.
The low frequency and the preference for a single server suggest me a
dump and restore cycle on two databases, assuming this is possible due
to not high volume data.
I would also consider some way of data partitioning in order to
isolate the data that has to be pushed from staging into the master
(you say data is only added or queried).
The problem for replication is that both the staging and the master
would be in read-write mode, so sounds to me like a multi-master
setup

I wasn't very careful with my wording. Sorry about that. There will be updates and possibly deletions as well as additions. Furthermore, the public version would be read only, I believe. The client would be modifying data, not end users. (It's a catalog site; the client is a non-profit that's publishing information in their field.) You're right in guessing that the data is not high volume.

A dump/restore does seem pretty logical. Replication might be complete overkill. The part that makes it a little more difficult is managing getting rid of the old database before restoring (and preferably, not getting rid of the old DB unless the restore succeeds). The best way I can think of to keep from doing all those steps manually would just be to write a bash script, unless someone has better ideas.

Also, do not degrade your contributions. =) This is very helpful, even if it's kind of vague due to the fact I'm not actually doing this yet. I'd much rather already have a vague idea in mind when this comes up again than to be totally unprepared. Thank you.