Re: variable filename for psql \copy - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Jiří Fejfar
Subject Re: variable filename for psql \copy
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Dear Daniel, David

On Mon, 25 Apr 2022 at 18:07, David G. Johnston <david.g.johnston@gmail.com> wrote:
On Mon, Apr 25, 2022 at 1:24 AM Jiří Fejfar <jurafejfar@gmail.com> wrote:
contrib_regression=# copy (select 1) to :'afile';

Hopefully you realize that COPY is going to place that file on the server, not send it to the psql client to be placed on the local machine.

The best way to do copy in psql is:
\set afile '...'
\o :'afile'
copy ... to stdout; --or the variant where you one-shot the \o ( \g with arguments )

Not only do you get variable expansion but you can write the COPY command on multiple lines just like any other SQL command.

thank you for your advice, \g works pretty well in my case

Additionally, we have a list, and even an online form, for submitting bug reports.  That would have been the more appropriate place to direct this email.

sorry, I didn't  realize that, next time I will send report there

J.
David J.