Re: Crosstab function - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Paul Jungwirth
Subject Re: Crosstab function
Date
List pgsql-general
> Are you sure that there is no pure sql solution for this ?

There is no pure SQL solution because a SQL query always gives a fixed
number of columns. You could compose the SQL in your client app and
vary the columns by the current warehouses. Or you could say GROUP BY
produkit, tblwarehouse.id and rearrange the result client-side. I'd
say those are the practical approaches, but if they aren't possible,
you may also be able to use Postgres's array feature, so that your
result columns are:

produkid
warehouse_totals[]
total

Someone asked a similar question about a year ago, and I wrote up how
to solve it with arrays and a recursive CTE here:

http://www.illuminatedcomputing.com/posts/2013/03/fun-postgres-puzzle/

Good luck,
Paul