Re: function return value inside a trigger function - Mailing list pgsql-general

From joao tiago a. m. viegas
Subject Re: function return value inside a trigger function
Date
List pgsql-general
sorry for the late update
thank you all,
I found the cause, that specific sentence was correct,  it was in another sentence of the same function, I think it was late at night and I was tired.

thank you anyway

best regards
jtv

On 27 September 2012 02:26, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
joao viegas <jtamviegas@yahoo.co.uk> writes:
> does anybody knows how can I have something like:
> select function_that_returns_int(NEW.field1) into NEW.field2;

Works for me ...

create table fooey (q1 int, q2 int);

create function myt() returns trigger language plpgsql as $$
begin
  select abs(new.q1) into new.q2;
  return new;
end$$;

create trigger mytrig before insert on fooey for each row
  execute procedure myt();

insert into fooey values(-42, 77);

select * from fooey;
 q1  | q2
 -42 | 42
(1 row)

Perhaps you should show a full example of what you're doing.

                        regards, tom lane