Re: Suggestions for the best strategy to emulate returning multiple sets of results - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Seref Arikan
Subject Re: Suggestions for the best strategy to emulate returning multiple sets of results
Date
Re: Re: Suggestions for the best strategy to emulate returning multiple sets of results  (Bret Stern <bret_stern@machinemanagement.com>)
List pgsql-general
Hi Merlin,
Thanks for the response. At the moment, the main function is creating two temp tables that drops on commit, and python functions fills these. Not too bad, but I'd like to push these temp tables to ram, which is a bit tricky due to not having a direct method of doing this with postgresql. (a topic that has been discussed in the past in this mail group)

The global variable idea is interesting though. I have not encountered this before, is it the global dictionary SD/GD mentioned here: http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.0/static/plpython-sharing.html ?
It may help perform the expensive transformations once and reuse the results.

Kind regards
Seref

On Wed, Oct 10, 2012 at 2:06 PM, Merlin Moncure <mmoncure@gmail.com> wrote:
On Mon, Oct 8, 2012 at 4:59 PM, Seref Arikan
<serefarikan@kurumsalteknoloji.com> wrote:
> Thanks Merlin,
> I've  tried arrays but plpython does not support returning arrays of custom
> db types (which is what I'd need to do)

hm -- yeah.  can your custom types be broken down into plain SQL types
(that is, composite types?).  maybe stash the results in global
variable and return it in two calls, or insert into into a  tempt
table that drops on commit?

merlin