Re: is there a relationship between indexes and temporary file creation? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Seref Arikan
Subject Re: is there a relationship between indexes and temporary file creation?
Date
List pgsql-general
Thanks Tom,
I'll give it a try, the whole setup is synthetic anyway, should not be too much of a trouble

Best regards
Seref

On Sun, Mar 15, 2015 at 3:16 PM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
Seref Arikan <serefarikan@kurumsalteknoloji.com> writes:
> Another idea that popped into my head is to consider table partitioning. Am
> I correct to assume that (inevitable) joins could benefit from partitions
> when sub query criteria constraints results to a particular partition?

That's too vague to answer really.  My suspicion is that you'd still end
up having to modify the queries, ie hand-factoring the joins, but maybe
you wouldn't need to.  You could experiment easily enough; just set up a
toy database with not much data in it and see if you get plans that don't
scan all the partitions.

                        regards, tom lane