High Disk write and space taken by PostgreSQL - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From J Ramesh Kumar
Subject High Disk write and space taken by PostgreSQL
Date
List pgsql-performance

Hi,

My application has high data intensive operations (high number of inserts 1500 per sec.). I switched my application from MySQL to PostgreSQL. When I take performance comparison report between mysql and pgsql, I found that, there are huge difference in disk writes and disk space taken. Below stats shows the difference between MySQL and PostgreSQL.

MySQLPostgreSQL
Inserts Per Second*15001500
Updates Per Second*6.56.5
Disk Write Per Second*0.9 MB6.2 MB
Database Size Increased Per day* 13 GB36 GB

* approx values

Why this huge difference in disk writes and disk space utilization? How can I reduce the disk write and space ? Kindly help me. Please let me know, if you require any other information(such as postgres.conf).

Thanks,
Ramesh