COPY and indices? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From François Beausoleil
Subject COPY and indices?
Date
Re: COPY and indices?
Re: COPY and indices?
List pgsql-general
Hi all,

When using COPY FROM STDIN to stream thousands of rows (20k and more hourly), what happens with indices? Are they
updatedonly once after the operation, or are they updated once per row? Note that I'm not replacing the table's data:
I'mappending to what's already there. I suspect batching writes will be faster than writing each individual row using
anINSERT statement.

Currently, I can sustain 30-40 writes per second on a Rackspace VPS. I know it's not the ideal solution, but that's
whatI'm working with. Following vmstat, the server is spending 30 to 40% of it's time in iowait. I don't have
measurementsas to what files are touched, and I'd welcome suggestions to measure the time PostgreSQL actually spends
writingindices vs data.

Thanks!
François