Issues Encountered with PostgreSQL 16.1 RPM on EL8/EL9 - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From rh@vonng.com
Subject Issues Encountered with PostgreSQL 16.1 RPM on EL8/EL9
Date
List pgsql-bugs
Dear PGSQL-Bugs Team and PGDG maintainers,

I hope this message finds you well. I am writing to share our excitement about the recent release of PostgreSQL 16.1.
However, during our installation trials, we encountered a few issues that we hope can be addressed.

Missing `plpython3` Package: We noticed that the plpython3 package is missing in the EL8 / EL9 repositories

- https://download.postgresql.org/pub/repos/yum/16/redhat/rhel-8-x86_64/
- https://download.postgresql.org/pub/repos/yum/16/redhat/rhel-9-x86_64/

This omission leads to RPM package conflicts when trying to install with `yum install postgresql16*`.
This issue is not limited to the x86_64 architecture and has caused some of our integrated workflows to break.

Besides, here are some additional observations and issues that may be helpful to increase the consistency of the PGDG repositories:

- The EL9 repository lacks the pgxnclient package comparing to the EL8/EL7 repo.
- The RPM for pg_repack_16 remains unavailable, although it is present in the APT repository.
- For PostGIS (PG15), the latest version available on EL 8/9 is 3.4, while on EL7, it is still 3.3.
- patroni 3.2.0 is available on PGDG YUM REPO, but the APT repo is still using the 3.1.2
- When trying to download patroni with repotrack , you'll get patroni 3.0.4 and the latest version. Which is quite wierd.

Concern Regarding Citus and Hydra Extensions:

We also wish to address a potential issue with the new columnar storage extension, `Hydra`, which is forked from Citus columnar.
There are potential RPM conflicts between these two extensions (through there's no official hydra RPM yet).
It might be beneficial to consider splitting the Citus RPM into two parts: the main body and Columnar,
offering users the choice between the default Columnar or Hydra's Columnar.

We greatly appreciate the work and dedication of the PGDG maintainers and look forward to a resolution to these issues.
Thank you for your attention to these matters.

Best regards,

Ruohang Feng (@Vonng)