Re: ERROR: invalid byte sequence for encoding "UTF8": 0xfc - Mailing list pgsql-general

From armand pirvu
Subject Re: ERROR: invalid byte sequence for encoding "UTF8": 0xfc
Date
List pgsql-general
> On Mar 27, 2018, at 3:47 PM, armand pirvu <armand.pirvu@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Folks
>

> From another system (non postgres) as data gets changed we collect in the form like below into a named pipe which is
tailedinto psql -U csidba -d repdb -hrephost

> insert into foo (mydata) values ('{"mail_stop": "" , "city_id": "Garching bei M?nchen"}');
>
> And got a failure
> ERROR:  invalid byte sequence for encoding "UTF8": 0xfc
>

> insert into foo (mydata) values ('{"mail_stop": "" , "city_id": "Garching bei M?nchen"}');
>
> Problem is said system to convert to UTF8 is nicely put a huge amount of effort and we don't have the resources
anywayat this point

> This is not a copy, just a tailed named pipe into psql
>
> Is there any trick/way I can shove this data into Postgres ? I really don't care whether it read "Garching bei
M?nchen"or "Garching bei Mfoonchen"

> Thanks
> — Armand

Sorry for double posting but I found that if I change the client_encoding to WIN1252 I am able to move forward

"city_id": "Garching bei München”