Re: Monitoring the sequence cycles - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Marc Mamin
Subject Re: Monitoring the sequence cycles
Date
List pgsql-general

> How about disabling cycling and doing your own monitoring?

> It seems a bit fiddly because sequence values are created "outside"
> of any transaction and hence if you write something into a logging
> table you're going to loose it if the transaction rolls back.

The sequences are expected to cycle a few times per year, I use them to generate Ids accross large timed tables that are dropped when obsolete.
I want to make sure that I have enough free Ids left...

I will probably implement a "fuzzy" monitoring while logging the current values on a regulary basis.

Thanks,

Marc Mmain

--
  Sam  http://samason.me.uk/