Re: Ordering Results by a Supplied Order - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Michael Sacket
Subject Re: Ordering Results by a Supplied Order
Date
List pgsql-general
On Feb 6, 2014, at 2:23 AM, Vik Fearing wrote:

> On 02/06/2014 04:16 AM, Michael Sacket wrote:
>> Often times I find it necessary to work with table rows in a specific, generally user-supplied order.  It could be
anythingreally that requires an ordering that can't come from a natural column.  Most of the time this involved
manipulatinga position column from the client application.  In any case, I've often found that to be cumbersome, but I
thinkI've come up with a solution that some of you may find useful.

> Up until 9.4, that's a good way to do it.
>
> Starting from 9.4, you can use the WITH ORDINALITY feature.
> http://www.postgresql.org/docs/devel/static/sql-select.html
> --
> Vik

Even better!  The development team is always making my work easier in unexpected ways.

Thanks!