Re: Bug: Buffer cache is not scan resistant - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Luke Lonergan
Subject Re: Bug: Buffer cache is not scan resistant
Date
List pgsql-hackers
entireaddress space of the cache.<br /><br /> With respect to whether it's L2, it's a conclusion based on the
experimentalresults.  It's not the TLB, as we also tested for the 512 entries for each L2.<br /><br /> One thing I left
outof the previous post: the difference between fast and slow behavior was that in the fast case, the buffer selection
alternatedbetween two buffer pages.  This was the case only when the preceding statement was a SELECT and the statement
From:  Tom Lane [<a href="mailto:tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us">mailto:tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us</a>]<br /> Sent:   Sunday, March 04, 2007
Subject:       Re: [HACKERS] Bug: Buffer cache is not scan resistant<br /><br /> "Luke Lonergan"
<llonergan@greenplum.com>writes:<br /> > The issue is summarized like this: the buffer cache in PGSQL is not
the<br/> bufmgr doesn't attempt to limit its usage footprint to fit in L2 cache;<br /> which is hardly surprising
consideringit doesn't know the size of L2<br /> cache.  That's not a consideration that we've ever taken into
pageinto memory via DMA cause that memory to<br /> get flushed from the processor cache anyway?  I wonder whether